Thursday, March 18, 2010

Hitching Rides


It is very common for people to hitch rides in Antigua. There are buses and taxis but people will simply reach an arm up and give you a wave signaling for you stop especially if you’re coming down the road in a pick up truck like Subi. I will just pull over and the riders will jump in the back and ‘Ride Rasta’ style. As I pass by a place where they want to get off, they’ll just give a couple taps on the roof and jump out before I come to a full stop. One time when I was stopped by the side of the road chatting to a friend in another car, a construction worker at a nearby house site asked if I could give him a lift to which I agreed. While I was talking with my friend, other workers came out of the house and nodded at me. When I started down the road again, I had six guys in the bed of the truck and another 3 inside the cab. There is a mechanic who works in St Johns who Javier and I always pick up on the way to work. It’s a great way to meet some of the locals and find out more about the island. Additionally, we are always giving rides to our students which is a welcome relaxed attitude compared with life back home.

No comments:

Post a Comment